Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fragrant singing memories

'Sajde pe tere jhukta hoon,tumpe hi aake rukta hoon... ' driving home from Parsippany ,NJ with my roommate on the next seat,singing the song....
'Nazrein milana, nazrein churana...' on the way to New Hampshire Fall festival...
'Soni de nakhre sone lagde..' Virginia trip...
'Rock on ' ... Las Vegas, Grand canyon.....
... and many more.....

I have a way of linking certain songs to my memorable moments. This mostly happens because the songs were playing during those moments, when they hit my subconscious and stayed there. It happens like a déjà vu. As soon as the song starts playing ,the pictures of those moments film afresh before my eyes, and this is quite a feeling!

Fragrances do the same to me too... Davidoff reminds me of a snowy romantic february day .... a typical fresh smell of leaves and a flower(I do not know the name) brings back my childhood days at 2023,out of the window of my room next to the blossoming Krishnachura ...earthy fragrance of the first rain on the cemented ground takes me to our basket ball court and cemented classroom window ledge at DPS,where we used to intentionally spill the water to enjoy that smell...... Ralph Lauren, of the moment before my wedding,sitting on the pidi(small stool),thoroughly palpitating with fear and wonderment about the new life...and the list goes on ...

I love it! I love the way my grey cells work to catch me off guard with such whispers from the past.... It is like a breath of fresh air during a routine ..... I love how I don't need to consciously sit down to recall those lovely moments .... I don't need to sift through photographs to experience my memoirs.... It is like a surprise of flashbacks.  It overwhelms me, sneaks up on me and wherever I am,I break into a smile!My fragrant, singing memories...

4 comments:

  1. Kendi Po!!! This is called life. You never know where it will take you but it will do something different every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! I, too, have experienced such nostalgic rides time and again. It's as if you are almost living in that particular moment, drowned in its very essence.

    ReplyDelete